From Golden Telescope Research Guides
On the Shelf
- Call Numbers
- 610 Medicine and Health
- 616 Diseases
- Broaden your category when searching for a book. Your subject may be a chapter in a book.
- Example: Search for books on "Medicine" for a chapter on Genetic Diseases.
- Find books that include the history of a certain topic.
- 610 Medicine and Health
RJHS Subscription Databases
- This is an eBook that can be easily searched using the Table of Contents or Index.
- Student Resources in Context provides holistic topic perspectives by integrating a multitude of content, including reference articles, periodical and newspaper articles, primary sources, multimedia records, and video and audio content.
- Searches all relevant databases for your topic.
- Use a keyword search. As you begin typing it will suggest topics which may be helpful.
- First result often is a Research Starter which will provide a good overview of the topic.
- Use limiters, found on the left side of the results page, to narrow your search. An especially helpful limiter is Subject. Be sure to use the Show More link to access all the subject limiters.
- Use Advanced Search. Search your big topic and a subtopic and consider using ‘’’title’’’ or subject terms in the drop down menu to the right of the search box. This will limit your hits to the most relevant articles immediately.
- This will include selections from published reference books, magazines and biographies.
- Access Science is an authoritative and dynamic online resource that contains incisively written, high-quality reference material that covers all major scientific disciplines.
- Featured topics and content, statistics, audio files, journal articles, etc.
- Includes selections from evidence-based reports, reference books, fact sheets & pamphlets, encyclopedias, news & magazines and videos & animations.
Database Passwords for HOME use HERE or on sticker available from library.
RJHS Selected Websites
- A comprehensive website that is a service of the U.S. National Library of Medicine under the National Institute of Health. Link to Genetic Disorders. Use search bar in upper right hand corner to find specific information on a disorder.
- A topic list of all diseases from the Mayo Clinic.
- An Online Catalog of Human Genes and Genetic Disorders
- Includes results from the 2010 National DNA Day Online Chatroom Transcript, answers by genomics experts to commonly asked questions about genetic disorders, basic research, and ethical issues.
- Genetics Home Reference provides consumer-friendly information about the effects of genetic variations on human health.
- From the U.S. Department of Health & Services, this site includes specific information about the symptoms, causes, inheritance, test & diagnosis in addition to helpful organizations and further research.
- Most of the above websites will provide links to organizations that are affiliated with specific disorders. Because the websites are sponsored by academic publishers and institutions or government agencies, you may trust that these links are credible.
Evaluation Tools, Citation Tools & Database Passwords
|Basic evaluation form||Citing: When and Why||For Home Use|
|Advanced evaluation form . . . . . . . .||Citation examples . . . . . . . . . . . .|
|How to use Easybib|