From Golden Telescope Research Guides
On the Shelves
- The books are arranged on the shelf by subject. All science books have a 500 series number and are together on the shelves.
- For example, books on Biomes are together using the call number 577
- Example BIOME books at Regis Jesuit: UXL Encyclopedia of Biomes, Shrublands,Taiga, Temperate Grasslands,Tropical Forests,Tropical Grasslands.
General Science Databases
- Encyclopedia type science source. Includes Biographies, Science News, Study Center, Image Galleries, Multimedia presentations.
- Periodicals (Current science news), Reference Books, Science Experiments, Videos
- A good starting point for general articles with the option to dig further into magazine / news / journal articles.
- Browse featured topics, reference articles, academic journals, statistics, etc.
- Global reference on the environment, energy, and natural resources.
- Reports, academic journals, reviews and more.
Researching a controversy? Start here
Academic and Scholarly Resources
- Excellent source of scholarly and professional journals.
- Searches all relevant databases for your topic.
- Use a keyword search. As you begin typing it will suggest topics which may be helpful.
- First result often is a Research Starter which will provide a good overview of the topic.
- Use limiters, found on the left side of the results page, to narrow your search. An especially helpful limiter is Subject. Be sure to use the Show More link to access all the subject limiters.
- Use Advanced Search. Search your big topic and a subtopic and consider using ‘’’title’’’ or subject terms in the drop down menu to the right of the search box. This will limit your hits to the most relevant articles immediately.
- Search terms: Use search terms you've collected by using the source above and other reading.
- Only academic & scholarly books and journals
- US Government sponsored database of reputable medical web resources. May be useful for medical related biology resources.
- Contents: Cell Biology, Microbiology, Immunology, Microscopy
- Interactive: Cell Models, Mitosis, Meiosis, Cell Cycle
- Galleries: Cell Gallery, Crystal Gallery
- INTERACTIVE BIOLOGY SIMULATIONS (PhET University of Colorado at Boulder)
- All Sims by Grade Level, Cutting Edge Research, Teacher Ideas & Activities
- MITOSIS & MEIOSIS
- Youtube Video - Dirty Socks: College lecture using socks to demonstrate Mitosis & Meiosis
Evaluation Tools, Citation Tools & Database Passwords
|Basic evaluation form||Citing: When and Why||For Home Use|
|Advanced evaluation form . . . . . . . .||Citation examples . . . . . . . . . . . .|
|How to use Easybib|